An important criterion of project funding is the "partner principle". This means: Renovabis operates where partners ask for assistance for specific projects. Since Renovabis works according to the "partner principle", in general only applications directly submitted from Central and Eastern Europe can be supported.
In the task of promoting projects of the partners in Central and Eastern Europe, Renovabis is guided by the universal Church principles of evangelization and Catholic Social Teaching. Another central feature is the partnership approach of Renovabis: Renovabis sees itself as an action of solidarity with the people in the East, not only for them. That's why we want to advance ourselves with the partners and always consider what is important to them. Renovabis wants all Christians and all people of good will in Central and Eastern Europe to work for the renewal of their society, for reconciliation, justice and peace.
Projects which directly benefit people
Areas of funding
- Pastoral work
- for example, pastoral tasks, pastoral care for young people, pastoral care for families, prison chaplaincy, training of priests, religious and catechists
- Pastoral infrastructure
- for example, construction and renovation of churches, parish centers, seminaries
- Social tasks
- for example, construction and equipment of orphanages, working with street children, promotion of facilities for the disabled and nursing homes, operation of social and hospice facilities, programs for the protection of life and family, holiday camps for needy children, aid projects for victims of trafficking in women
- Promotion of structures of laity
- for example, training courses for lay people, support of supra-diocesan networks, coordinators of youth and family work, promotion of church association work
- School education and vocational training
- for example, promotion of schools and vocational training centers in church sponsorship, training workshops, training grants, support of universities, study and language grants
- Media work
- for example, training of journalists, promotion of Christian media
- Emergency aid
- for example: Help for refugees, help in case of natural disasters
Project funding at a glance
In 2019, Renovabis funded 653 projects for EUR 28.9 million. The following table gives an overview of the number of projects and the amount of approved funding, country by country, in 2019.
|Länder||Projektanzahl||bewilligte Mittel in Mio. Euro|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||8||1.841.020,00 €|
|Northern Macedonia||6||418.880,00 €|
|Republic of Moldova||7||521.230,00 €|
|Czech Republic||18||801.770,00 €|
|Transnational projects||60||1.615.401,40 €|
|material supports for priests||63||1.974.540,00 €|
|Total projects||636||28.137.097,02 €|
The number of projects includes 63 material supports and 126 scholarships projects.
Material supports are monthly grants to the living costs of priests and deacons in diaspora areas. Renovabis gives grants as study and training grants for priests, seminarians, religious and lay people from the countries of Central, Eastern and South-Eastern Europe.
More about funding grants