About the Congress
The Renovabis International Congress, which has been held annually since 1997, serves to inform and discuss important developments in church and society in Central and Eastern Europe, but also takes up topics of pan-European importance. With the participation of numerous guests from all parts of Europe, the congress has developed into an important forum for dialogue between East and West.
The 28th International Congress Renovabis will take place in Freising from 10 to 12 September 2024.
27th International Congress Renovabis
„Freedom as I understand it ...“ – Europe in the Realm between a New Awakening, Disillusionment and Threat, Munich, 12-14 September 2023
2023 marks the 30th anniversary of the founding of Renovabis. On this occasion, the International Congress took a look at the social and ecclesial developments in Central, Eastern and South-Eastern Europe over the past three decades, starting with the idea of freedom and the hopes and expectations associated with it at the beginning of the 1990s. It covered a range from the initial mood of optimism to increasing disillusionment and scepticism about Western models to the threat to freedom in Europe posed by authoritarian tendencies and the war against Ukraine. The Congress took stock of what has been achieved so far. It also looked at the challenges and tasks facing society, politics and the churches today and in the coming years, also in the light of the changed geopolitical situation in Europe. In addition to the presentations and panel discussions, a separate dialogue forum gave all participants the opportunity to actively contribute their ideas, suggestions for topics and questions.
- At the beginning of the Congress, on 12 September 2023, the solidarity initiative Renovabis celebrated its 30th anniversary with a vespers service at 17:00 in the Church of St. Sylvester, followed by a festive event in the Catholic Academy in Bavaria (both in Munich). The keynote address was given by former Federal President Joachim Gauck. The Bavarian state government hosted a state reception. The evening was also intended to be an opportunity for meeting and informal exchange.
- All plenary sessions could be followed online via livestream. Conference languages were German, English and Italian.
Dokumentationen früherer Kongresse (werden nicht fortgeführt)
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2016PDF, 5 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2015PDF, 2 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2003PDF, 2 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2004PDF, 2 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2005PDF, 1 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2006PDF, 2 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2007PDF, 2 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2008PDF, 1 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2009PDF, 1 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2010PDF, 1 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2011PDF, 1 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2012PDF, 1 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2013PDF, 1 MB
- Kongress-Dokumentation 2014PDF, 1 MB